Day 5 - Thursday

God, come to my assistance

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end, Amen.

Psalm 119:17-24
ג — Gimel

17 Deal bountifully with your servant, so that I may live and observe your word.
18 Open my eyes, so that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.

Ant. 1: Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may see the wonders of your law.

19 I live as an alien in the land; do not hide your commandments from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing for your ordinances at all times.

Ant. 1: Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may see the wonders of your law.

21 You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments;
22 take away from me their scorn and contempt, for I have kept your decrees.

Ant. 1: Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may see the wonders of your law.

23 Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.
24 Your decrees are my delight, they are my counselors.

Ant. 1: Open my eyes, O Lord, that I may see the wonders of your law.


Psalm-prayer
Father, giver of all good gifts, do not let us go astray from your commands but help us to seek you with all our hearts.

Psalm 25
Prayer for God's favor and protection
...and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
NRS Romans 5:5


I

1 To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me.
3 Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Ant. 2: Guide me, O Lord, in your truth.

4 Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.
5 Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation;

Ant. 2: Guide me, O Lord, in your truth.

...for you I wait all day long.
6 Be mindful of your mercy, O LORD, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness' sake, O LORD!

Ant. 2: Guide me, O Lord, in your truth.

8 Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.
9 He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.

Ant. 2: Guide me, O Lord, in your truth.

10 All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
11 For your name's sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great.

Ant. 2: Guide me, O Lord, in your truth.


Pslam-prayer
To you, Lord, we lift up our souls; rescue us, do not let us be put to shame for calling out to you. Do not remember the sins of our youth and stupidity, but remember us with your love.

II


12 Who are they that fear the LORD? He will teach them the way that they should choose.
13 They will abide in prosperity, and their children shall possess the land.
14 The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

Ant. 3: Look on me, Lord, and help me, for I am poor and alone.

15 My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.

Ant. 3: Look on me, Lord, and help me, for I am poor and alone.

17 Relieve the troubles of my heart, and bring me out of my distress.
18 Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins.

Ant. 3: Look on me, Lord, and help me, for I am poor and alone.

19 Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me.
20 O guard my life, and deliver me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.

Ant. 3: Look on me, Lord, and help me, for I am poor and alone.

22 Redeem Israel, O God, out of all its troubles.

Ant. 3: Look on me, Lord, and help me, for I am poor and alone.


Psalm-prayer
Through your Son, Lord, you spared sinners to show us your mercy and love. Do not remember our sins, but show us your ways; relieve our distress, and satisfy the longing of your people, so that all our hopes for eternal peace may reach fulfillment.

Midmorning
Reading
Amos 4:13
For lo, the one who forms the mountains, creates the wind, reveals his thoughts to mortals, makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth-- the LORD, the God of hosts, is his name!

All you works of the Lord, bless the Lord.
-- Praise and glorify him for ever.

Prayer
Lord,
in midmorning you gave your Holy Spirit
to the apostles gathered in prayer.
Give us a share in the life and love
that your Spirit brings.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midday
Reading
Amos 5:8
The one who made the Pleiades and Orion, and turns deep darkness into the morning, and darkens the day into night, who calls for the waters of the sea, and pours them out on the surface of the earth, the LORD is his name,

Beauty and wealth surround him.
-- Richness and splendor adorn his holy place.

Prayer
All-powerful and ever-living God,
with you there is no darkness,
from you nothing is hidden.
Fill us with the radiance of your light:
may we understand the law you have given us
and live it with generosity and faith.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midafternoon
Reading
Amos 9:6
who builds his upper chambers in the heavens, and founds his vault upon the earth; who calls for the waters of the sea, and pours them out upon the surface of the earth-- the LORD is his name.

The sky proclaims God's glory.
-- The vault of heaven, the hand of him who made it.

Prayer
Lord,
help us to follow the example
of your Son's patience and endurance.
May we face all life's difficulties
with confidence and faith.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Conclusion
Let us praise the Lord.
-- And give him thanks.