Day 4 - Wednesday

God, come to my assistance

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end, Amen.

Psalm 119:9-16
ב — Beth

9 How can young people keep their way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you; do not let me stray from your commandments.

Ant. 1: Lord, may you be for ever blessed;
teach me the ways of holiness

11 I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes.

Ant. 1: Lord, may you be for ever blessed;
teach me the ways of holiness

13 With my lips I declare all the ordinances of your mouth.
14 I delight in the way of your decrees as much as in all riches.

Ant. 1: Lord, may you be for ever blessed;
teach me the ways of holiness

15 I will meditate on your precepts, and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

Ant. 1: Lord, may you be for ever blessed;
teach me the ways of holiness


Psalm-prayer
Lord, may we treasure your commandments as the greatest of all riches; never let us fear that anything will be wanting to us while you are at our side.

Psalm 17
Save me, Lord, from those who hate you.
In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. NRS Hebrews 5:7

I

1 Hear a just cause, O LORD; attend to my cry; give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.

2 From you let my vindication come; let your eyes see the right.

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.

3 If you try my heart, if you visit me by night, if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me; my mouth does not transgress.

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.

4 As for what others do, by the word of your lips I have avoided the ways of the violent.
5 My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.

6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me, hear my words.
7 Wondrously show your steadfast love, O savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand.

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.

8 Guard me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,
9 from the wicked who despoil me,

Ant. 2: Lord, keep me steadfast in your ways.



II

...my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly.

Ant. 3: Rise up, O Lord, and rescue me.

11 They track me down; now they surround me; they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.
12 They are like a lion eager to tear, like a young lion lurking in ambush.

Ant. 3: Rise up, O Lord, and rescue me.

13 Rise up, O LORD, confront them, overthrow them! By your sword deliver my life from the wicked,

Ant. 3: Rise up, O Lord, and rescue me.

14 from mortals-- by your hand, O LORD-- from mortals whose portion in life is in this world. May their bellies be filled with what you have stored up for them; may their children have more than enough; may they leave something over to their little ones.

Ant. 3: Rise up, O Lord, and rescue me.

15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.

Ant. 3: Rise up, O Lord, and rescue me.


Psalm-prayer
Turn our eyes to see the truth of your judgements, Lord, that, when our spirits are tried by fire, the anticipation of seeing you may make us rejoice in your justice.

Midmorning
Reading
1 Peter 1:13-14
13 Therefore prepare your minds for action; discipline yourselves; set all your hope on the grace that Jesus Christ will bring you when he is revealed.
14 Like obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires that you formerly had in ignorance.

Lord, show me your ways.
-- Teach me to walk in your footsteps.

Prayer
God of truth, Father of all,
you send your Spirit as you promised
to bring together in love
all whom sin has driven apart.
Sthrengthen us to work for your blessings
of unity and peace in the world.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midday
Reading
1 Peter 1:15-16
15 Instead, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct;
16 for it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

May your priests be robed with holiness.
-- Let your people dance for joy.

Prayer
God of mercy,
this midday moment of rest
is your welcome gift.
bless the work we have begun,
make good its defects
and let us finish it in a way that pleases you.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midafternoon
Reading
James 4:7-8a, 10
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you...
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

God looks tenderly on those who revere him.
-- On those who trust in his mercy.

Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ,
to save all mankind
you streched out your arms on the cross.
Let our work be pleasing to you:
may it proclaim your salvation to the world,
for you live and reign forever and ever.

Conclusion
Let us praise the Lord.
-- And give him thanks.