Day 3 - Tuesday

God, come to my assistance

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end, Amen.

Psalm 119:1-8
א — Aleph

A meditatiion on God's law
For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, NRS 1 John 5:3

1 Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD.
2 Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways.

Ant 1: They are happy who live by the law of God.

4 You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
5 O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.

Ant 1: They are happy who live by the law of God.

7 I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances.
8 I will observe your statutes; do not utterly forsake me.

Ant 1: They are happy who live by the law of God.


Psalm-prayer
Lord God, you proclaim victorious those whose lives are blameless and give your law to those who seek it. Make us seek your righteous ways in our hearts.

Psalm 13
The lament of the just man who
does not lose hope in God

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. NRS Romans 15:13


1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I bear pain in my soul, and have sorrow in my heart all day long? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

Ant 2: You have saved me, Lord, and my heart is filled with joy.

3 Consider and answer me, O LORD my God! Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4 and my enemy will say, "I have prevailed"; my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.

Ant 2: You have saved me, Lord, and my heart is filled with joy.

5 But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

Ant 2: You have saved me, Lord, and my heart is filled with joy.


Psalm-prayer
Saving God, by the resurrection of your Son, you have given light to our eyes, and they shall not sleep in death for ever. Look upon the sufferings of your Church so that our hearts may rejoice in your saving help and sing you songs of praise.

Psalm 14
The foolishness of sinners

But law came in, with the result that the trespass multiplied; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, NRS Romans 5:20


1 Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good.

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.

2 The LORD looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God.

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.

3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse; there is no one who does good, no, not one.

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.

4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the LORD?

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.

5 There they shall be in great terror, for God is with the company of the righteous.
6 You would confound the plans of the poor, but the LORD is their refuge.

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.

7 O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion! When the LORD restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.

Ant 3: God sees all men as sinners, that he might show them his mercy.


Psalm-prayer
God of wisdom and truth, without you neither truth nor holiness can survive. Safeguard the Church you have gathered into one and make us glad in proclaiming you

Midmorning
Reading
Jeremiah 17:7-8
7 Blessed are those who trust in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
8 They shall be like a tree planted by water, sending out its roots by the stream. It shall not fear when heat comes, and its leaves shall stay green; in the year of drought it is not anxious, and it does not cease to bear fruit.

God cares for all the needs of those who follow him.
-- Lord, God of hosts, happy is the man who trusts in you.

Prayer
All-powerfull and ever-living God,
in midmorning you poured out the Holy Spirit
as a constant Friend and Guide for your apostles.
Send that same Spirit of love to us
to make us faithful witnesses to you
in the sight of all mankind.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midday
Reading
Proverbs 3:13-15
13 Happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding,
14 for her income is better than silver, and her revenue better than gold.
15 She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her.

Lord, all you ask of me is truth.
-- In the depths of my heart you have taught me wisdom.

Prayer
Lord God,
you made known to Peter
your desire to bring all nations to salvation.
Let all our work give you praise
and carry out your loving plan.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midafternoon
Reading
Job 5:17-18
17 "How happy is the one whom God reproves; therefore do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
18 For he wounds, but he binds up; he strikes, but his hands heal.

Deal with your servant in mercy, Lord.
-- Teach me to do your will.

Prayer
Father,
you sent your angel to Cornelius
to show him the way to salvation
Help us to work generously for the salvation of the world
so that your Church may bring us and all mankind
into your presence.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Conclusion
Let us praise the Lord.
-- And give him thanks.