Day 2 - Monday

God, come to my assistance

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Ghost
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end, Amen.

Psalm 19
Praise of God who gave us the law of love
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. NRS Matthew 5:48


1 The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
2 Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

3 There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard;
4 yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun,

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

5 which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy, and like a strong man runs its course with joy.
6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hid from its heat.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the decrees of the LORD are sure, making wise the simple;

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eyes;

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

9 the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

11 Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
12 But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

13 Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

Ant. 1: The will of God gives joy to the heart;
we see all things in its light.

Psalm-prayer
May our words in praise of your commandments find favor with you, Lord. May our faith prove we are not slaves, but sons, not so much subjected to your law as sharing your power.

Psalm 7
Prayer of a God-fearing man who is being caluminated
Beloved, do not grumble against one another, so that you may not be judged. See, the Judge is standing at the doors! NRS James 5:9

I

1 O LORD my God, in you I take refuge; save me from all my pursuers, and deliver me,
2 or like a lion they will tear me apart; they will drag me away, with no one to rescue.

Ant. 2: God comes in power to give his people justice.

3 O LORD my God, if I have done this, if there is wrong in my hands,
4 if I have repaid my ally with harm or plundered my foe without cause,
5 then let the enemy pursue and overtake me, trample my life to the ground, and lay my soul in the dust.Selah

Ant. 2: God comes in power to give his people justice.

6 Rise up, O LORD, in your anger; lift yourself up against the fury of my enemies; awake, O my God; you have appointed a judgment.
7 Let the assembly of the peoples be gathered around you, and over it take your seat on high.
8 The LORD judges the peoples;

Ant. 2: God comes in power to give his people justice.

...judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness and according to the integrity that is in me.
9 O let the evil of the wicked come to an end, but establish the righteous, you who test the minds and hearts, O righteous God.

Ant. 2: God comes in power to give his people justice.


Psalm-prayer
Father, you weigh what is in our hearts. Free us from oppressors, and, as we wait for your day of judgement, set a firm guard on our thoughts, so that while we return good for evil, we may still praise your justice.

II

10 God is my shield, who saves the upright in heart.
11 God is a righteous judge, and a God who has indignation every day.
12 If one does not repent,

Ant. 3: God is our Judge, strong and just; he saves the upright heart.

...God will whet his sword; he has bent and strung his bow;
13 he has prepared his deadly weapons, making his arrows fiery shafts.
14 See how they conceive evil, and are pregnant with mischief, and bring forth lies.

Ant. 3: God is our Judge, strong and just; he saves the upright heart.

15 They make a pit, digging it out, and fall into the hole that they have made.
16 Their mischief returns upon their own heads, and on their own heads their violence descends.

Ant. 3: God is our Judge, strong and just; he saves the upright heart.

17 I will give to the LORD the thanks due to his righteousness, and sing praise to the name of the LORD, the Most High.

Ant. 3: God is our Judge, strong and just; he saves the upright heart.


Psalm-prayer
You know our hearts, Lord, but you are slow to anger and merciful in judging. Come, examine your Church, wash her clean of sin and great crowds will surround you with songs of praise.

Midmorning
Reading
NRS Romans 13:8-10
8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
9 The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet"; and any other commandment, are summed up in this word, "Love your neighbor as yourself."
10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.

Stand by me, God, do not forsake me.
-- Do not abandon me, my Savior.

Prayer
God our Father,
work is your gift to us,
a call to reach new heights
by using our talents for the good of all.
Guide us as we work and teach us to live
in the spirit that has made us your sons and daughters,
in the love that has made us brothers and sisters.

Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Midday
Reading NRS James 1:19-20, 26
19 You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger;
20 for your anger does not produce God's righteousness.
26 If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless.

I will bless the Lord all my life long.
-- With a song of praise ever on my lips.

Prayer
Father,
yours is the harvest
and yours is the vinyard:
you assign the task
and pay a wage that is just.
Help us to meet this day's responsibilities,
and let nothing separate us from your love.

Grant this through Christ our Lord

Midafternoon
Reading: 1 Peter 1:17-19
17 If you invoke as Father the one who judges all people impartially according to their deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile.
18 You know that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold,
19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish.

Claim me once more as your own, Lord, and have mercy on me.
-- And I will give thanks where your people gather in prayer.

Prayer
Lord,
you call us to worship you
at the hour when the apostles went to pray in the temple.
We offer our prayer in the name of Jesus:
may his saving power come to all
who call upon his name.

Grant this through Christ our Lord.

Conclusion
Let us praise the Lord.
-- And give him thanks.